Monday, April 7, 2008

Am I Angry?

Someone posted my blog address on another site. (Thanks, by the way.) 


On that blog thread, someone, after reading my post, said I sounded like I was angry. At first, I was concerned - am I coming across angry? I have to admit that it bothered me. After sleeping on it, though, I realized something. Of course I am angry. That is the whole point. I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't angry. 

My initial response highlights the aftermath of abuse. Anger was one of those 'bad' emotions, both at home and in the church. The indoctrination along these lines leads to the belief that anger is, in and of itself, a sin. I have (until now) always apologized for getting angry - stuffed the anger. Bleah.

So, yes, I am angry. Sometimes, I am even outraged. And that is a good thing. Why? Because it means I am doing something about it . . . and it means that I am learning that it is okay to be angry.

5 comments:

Barb said...

I hate when someone levels the complaint that I am angry. YES I'm angry and we should be! This also does not make our point - whatever it may be - invalid. I'm glad you could see beyond this.

Jeannette Altes said...

Thanks. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my Lord! How idiotic can that person be? Am I angry? Wow. I'M LIVID! To be ANGRY about abuse is the RIGHT RESPONSE or REACTION!!!! Got it, you knothead?!

Now, if you don't believe that Narcissist's abuse and that those of us who write have been abused, then that is a whole 'nother thing. Quit reading...this isn't for you. But, if you are saying that any of us are not supposed to angry in the face of the abuse...(or in the aftermath...)...buddy, pick up your 'clue phone'!!!!!

Yeah...now I'm mad at YOU! Sheeze!

CZBZ said...

Think of your anger as a hard-won prize. I had countless folks trying to silence my anger, katherine. I guess reading my angry words made them uncomfortable. Well, it made me a lot more uncomfortable to NOT be angry. ha!

Best thing to get me back on track was to find my anger, become comfortable with my anger and use my anger to keep me motivated!

Hugs,
CZBZ

Jeannette Altes said...

krl-
Thanks ;-)

CZBZ-
Amen! and thanks!